Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

FarmGirl Friday Blog Hop! #53

Welcome Friends!
My peeps are growing like weeds.  They're two weeks old, flapping their wings, showing off for eachother, and mugging for the camera.  This is Princess...

She's the little chick that got sick after I brought her home.  She's doing great now.  In fact, she's kind of a tiny bully.  

She's still much smaller than the others so they don't mind her behavior too much.  

They're all so cute at this stage, they've really stolen my heart.   A few of them like Princess above and the little gal to the right here, I am calling her Penguin so far...  

They seem to enjoy being cradled in my hands while I sing to them, off key of course... 

They are so curious of anything I do, my every movement.  Their collective chirps and cheeps are so cute.  I love to listen to them chatting with eachother. 

Even my big strong husband enjoys them and gently cradles them while he coos to them.  It's quite sweet and silly to see.  We don't mind making fools of ourselves.  We do it quite often.  I can't help it, I love babies...  all babies.

My honey bees are hanging in there, even with this crazy weather.  They fly in and out during strong winds (as long as there's sunshine) carrying back lots of pollen.  They are an inspiration.  I wish I had the strength and energy to do just a fraction of what they get done each day.  I don't.  I get tired just watching them.

I ordered bees for my second hive and a new queen for the first hive.  This time I chose a New World Carniolan/Russian cross package.  They are cold hearty, mite resistant, and slow down brood production in winter, unlike the Italians I already have who will keep producing and nursing young all through the scarce months of winter requiring lots more stored honey, support and supplemental feedings.  I plan to compare and contrast the two for a while.  Once the new queen gets settled in, she will increase the genetic diversity of my little hive and hopefully improve the Italians housekeeping skills.  We'll see.

We're expecting snow to start soon and for freezing conditions to last for much of the weekend.  It is almost two weeks past our regular frost date. Laugh!  Last spring was strange too. We had a freak freeze with snow and ice on May 21, 2011, that killed almost everything.  

I have hoops for my raised beds this year so I am hopeful things will be different this year.  Okay, I have gone on for to long.  It's YOUR turn to SHARE what you have been working on this week at your farm...

Here are the rules for the Farmgirl/boy Friday Blog Hop!
1.) Write a post about your farmgirl/boy lifestyle and brag a little about your farmgirl/boy talents while your at it! Include lots of photos of your farm, crafts, animals, quilts, home decor projects and thrifty make overs, your backyard garden, chicken coop, recipes, studio or workshop. You get the idea!
2). Leave your entry in the Mr. Linky space to your Farmgirl/boy Friday post.

3). Please include the Farmgirl Friday button ( or link back here ) in your post and remember to share this hop with all of your blogging friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment