Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

The Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop!!!

Howdy Friends!
Welcome to the party built for Farm Gals and Guys

This Lil Busybody Goes AWOL... 


I want to take this opportunity to say thanks to everyone of my blog friends for hanging in there with me this week. I have been glamping, pulling grandma duty, caretaker to two adorable new barn kittens, and now dairy goat milk maid. Such is a day in the life of a farmgirl wannabe like me.


I am brand new to milking goats.  I have helped a few friends over the last few months to try to learn because I will be bringing home two Nigerian Dwarf does in December, but I have never milked alone before and I certainly have not milked out a doe by myself.  Last night was my first chance to try with my best pals Michelle and Pat beside me cheering me on and helping to secure and feed the does grain while I attempted to milk without a milk stand.  Let me just say it was a challenge.  The poor patient, gentle animals did their best to tolerate this newby, but it was a long night.  

This morning we were at it again before 8am and one of the does attempted to sit down on top of our milk pail.  Lol.  Did I mention that this is a bit of a challenge for this nube???  Maybe the words "Mission Impossible" would be more accurate to describe the situation.  I got only a few ounces into the pail before my poor more experienced friend Pat who has owned her first Nigerians for all of 2 weeks, had to intervene and milk the girls out for me.  Pat was AMAZING!  I feel so blessed for the friends that I have.  I am a bit frustrated with myself.  These poor goats are trying hard to be patient, but I have got to learn to speed up NOW.  

I must admit, it was pretty funny to watch us this morning though.  Without a stand, leaning on the ground, with the doe's rump in my face.  It wasn't a pretty picture by any means and the husbands in the neighborhood were all laughing in amusement.  It was like the Three Stooges.  Atleast nobody took incriminating photos, or did they?  

Thanks for listening.  If you have any tips of the trade I'd love to hear them.  Please don't forget to link up and share what you've been working on this week too.

Heidi


Update- Tonight I got to use the new milk stand that my hubby made today and I have to report that everything went smooth.  The does were calm, no hanky panky, and I got done quicker- before the first doe got restless.  I milked them out all by myself.  Yippee!!!  The best part, there are 6 cup sof fresh milk chilling in the freezer now... 

Here are the rules for the Farmgirl/guy Blog Hop!

1.) Write a post about your farmgirl lifestyle and brag a little about your farmgirl talents while your at it! Share what being a farmgirl means to you. Include lots of photos of your farm, crafts, animals, quilts, home decor projects and thrifty make overs, your backyard garden, chicken coop, recipes, studio or workshop. You get the idea!

2). Leave your entry in the Mr. Linky space to your Farmgirl Friday post.

3). Please include the Farmgirl Friday button ( or link back here ) in your post and remember to share this hop with all of your blogging friends!

Have a great week everyone and thank you so much for all you share here every Friday!

Farmgirl Blessings to all!

2 comments:

  1. I linked up with you this week. You're awesome to be raising goats. I'd probably never do that, but I do love drinking goat's milk. It's so good for you, and easier to digest than cow's milk, too :) :)

    Have a great weekend. Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather. I'm glad you are joining us this week for the hop.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete